Ed Driscoll

Kirsten Powers Meets Krauthammer’s Law

February 20th, 2014 - 2:04 pm

Speaking of which, I got a kick out of a comment from someone at a Website called Hyperallergic, which modestly describes itself as”the world’s leading art blogazine,” quoting my post from Tuesday on Mr. Obama’s apology for insulting college history majors, and the response from Jonathan Chait at New York magazine, who wrote:

The Obama apology tour continues! Basically, any group of people that hates America and gets worked up about it — Europeans, Muslims, art history majors — Obama will apologize to you.

Linking to Chait, I asked:

But do the bulk of art history majors hate America? Or perhaps we should ask the flip-side of the equation: which college majors aren’t being taught to hate the nation?

Given the midcentury influence of the socialist Frankfurt School, the rise of political correctness beginning in the mid-to-late 1980s, the nature of what Australian historian Geoffrey Blainey has dubbed “Black Armband History,” not to mention Occupy Wall Street, which seemed as obsessed with spiraling college tuitions as anything their fellow Obama supporters on Wall Street are up to, those seem like a couple of reasonable questions. (After all, it was Chait who implied that art history majors hate America, not Mr. Obama or myself.) Rather than answering them directly, Hyperallergic quoted me with a rather, well, hyperallergic preface:

Chait’s ridiculousness seemed to fall like manna from the heavens for the right-wing media, and various outlets took the bait. PJMedia’s Ed Driscoll asks: “Do Art History Majors Hate America?” In what only can be described as unbelievable, Ed Driscoll vomits:

Gee, I’ve always been worried that I come across as too subdued and laid back in my writing; I look upon the craziness of leftwing enclaves such as Washington, Hollywood, Sacramento and most college campuses with distanced bemusement. But evidently, any pushback, even the lightest, against what Thomas Sowell would call “the Vision of the Anointed,” is the equivalent of “vomiting.”

Which once again proves the accuracy of Krauthammer’s Law.

Update: When I mentioned this post to my wife, she reminded that there have been times when actual vomiting has preceded blog posts, but fortunately, those occasions are awfully rare.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

Ha! I've spent most of my adult life surrounded by very left-wing people (socialist is the moderate position--literally). Many of them are quite intelligent, decent, thoughtful people, generally speaking.

But all of them, every last one, turns into a hate-filled, envious, selfish child when the subject turns to political or social issues. I don't know why, but in that one area, conservatives are right--liberals are stupid.
Personally, I think liberals are perpetual children, and this view is validated every time I talk with one.
In an academic position, I befriended a real leftist European and he asked, on many occasions, about the state of the American political landscape.

I repeated the old chestnut: “Conservatives think that liberals are stupid. Liberals think that conservatives are evil.”

His response, without irony or awareness: “I have many liberal friends and they are not stupid!”
I would add a corollary to Krautheimers Law:
Liberals inaccurately perceive conservatives to be evil, when, on the instances conservatives are really wrong, they are more likely to be just stupid. Conservatives inaccurately perceive liberals to be stupid, when in reality only those duped into voting for liberals are stupid, the guiding liberal elite know exactly what their policies will do, and are thus evil, not stupid.
I THINK Kristin Powers is a reasonable person. She does not completely follow the liberal talking points. There are plenty of far right beliefs that I cannot accept.
Winston Churchill is often misquoted thus:

"Anyone younger that twenty who is not Liberal has no heart. Anyone older than forty who is not Conservative has no brain."

(I like to leave the time between twenty and forty for changing one's mind.)

Krauthammer's Law is a corollary of this. Conservatives see Liberals as having no brain, meaning that they are stupid. Liberals see Conservatives as having no heart, meaning that they are evil. Q.E.D.

Personally, I like Andy Rooney's formulation: "Democrats believe people are basically good but need to be saved from themselves by their government. Republicans believe people are basically bad, but they'll be okay if you leave them alone."
Try Georges Clemenceau, who was explaining his son's political foibles.

Cheers
Fox would do well to have more Kristin Powers and fewer Alan Colmes... She represents current progressives, Alan and Juan Williams don't. Kind of like O'Reilly - their days have come and gone.
"I got to Fox and just, I was like, ‘Oh, they’re not all evil and stupid.’”"

Not only are they not evil and stupid, most of them don't still speak pre-teen, and they're not all, like, you know?

"Liberals since the 1920s have claimed to be guided by the laws of science. But often it was crackpot science, like the eugenics movement that sought forced sterilizations."

True statement. Liberals collect scientific words to sprinkle around their discourse but they are usually quite foreign to real science. Hitler and Stalin promoted all kinds of quacks, just like modern liberals do. And let us not forget Marx's "scientific" view of history and economy.
I think there is some projection with both sides. The Left seems to assume that the Right will aggressively bend the rules like they do, election rules for example, not comprehending that there are no one-party enclaves with an absence of Democrats to keep the right honest. The Right seems to assume a level of competence and prior planing, evil, from leftists who often can't competently organize anything more complicated than a press conference. I think it's good for both sides to meet each other and get to know their opponents.

When one strips away the political misunderstanding, ignorance, and lies, there are still honest differences of opinion regarding the size and role of government. City people generally want more government than rural people do. The founding fathers created a system of government that allowed for differences between the states. We need to do a better job of educating voters on the "agree to disagree" advantages of federalism where government is more local and people are free to vote with their feet.
If you've weaponized the IRS, given machine guns to Mexican drug cartels in order to weaken the Second Amendment, left a US Ambassador to be butchered and then blamed a Youtube video, gleefully forced every American to overpay for energy because cheap energy benefits your political opponents, and trashed the US healthcare system without the slightest bit of forethought.... there is a word for you.

And that word is not "stupid."
Well, to be fair, Kirsten said she was raised to believe conservatives are *both* evil and stupid.
I'd suggest that the hypersensitivity on the left to even the most modest of questioning of their orthodox socialist views is nothing less than a sign of the deep insecurities they have about themselves and what they profess to believe in.

After all, if their ideas had true merit, then the populace would embrace them without having to be lied to about what those policies truly are (if you like your health care plan, you can keep your healthcare plan), bribed (Obamaphones, welfare) or outright forced to comply by government agents with guns (how many billions of rounds of hollowpoint ammo has the government stockpiled now?).
They fear the power of conservative ideas and are anxious about the acceptance of theirs. Ultimately, they deny the moral basis of free choice if it disagrees with their agenda.
1 2 3 4 Next View All