Ed Driscoll

Interview: Diana West on the Cold War and American Betrayal

July 8th, 2013 - 12:00 am

MR. DRISCOLL:  And last question.  While the Soviet Union is no more, the centennial of its founding is just around the corner.  What, in your estimation, has been the ultimate impact of nearly a century of what you describe in the subtitle of American Betrayal as the left’s assault on our nation’s character?

MS. WEST:  Well, on reexamination, after — this has been about a four-year project, writing this book — I really feel that the Cold War victory we claim abroad, I think is quite questionable.  But I feel more than that, we lost the Cold War at home.

Proof of that would be, look at our college campuses, outposts of Marx.  I mean, this is a place where, for example, the great witnesses to Communist infiltration, such as an Elizabeth Bentley, for example, she would never get a statue on her campus — her alma mater, Vassar.  The left is in control.

They’re in control of so much of our cultural understanding of ourselves, of our narrative.  They have managed to keep even the tremendous mounting evidence of this infiltration separate from our historical understanding.  And indeed, the only way that I could even hope to — I mean, it’s a kind
of — it’s kind of something to try another book about World War II and the Cold War — however, it is indeed brand new because the left has managed to keep a wedge between the intelligence confirmations of the infiltration and our general historical narrative.

And so what I do in American Betrayal is actually weave the two histories together, which amazingly enough, basically had not been done.  And this — this is part of the triumph, I would argue, of sort of Marxism-Leninism ideology.  I think that we — from that original relationship that was based on lies, we have seen the rise of double standards in our policies, and indeed in our culture itself, and indeed in our hold on facts and on morality.

I think it has been an utterly corrupting experience, which is why the subtitle is “The Secret Assault on Our Nation’s Character.” It really was a changing relationship.  And we haven’t grappled with it yet.  We have not reckoned with it yet.

And I hope — I hope — it is my hope that my book opens the door on this.  Because I really think we need to think very hard about what happened to us and try to reorient.  Because I think we are still living in a very delusional frame of mind.

MR. DRISCOLL:  This is Ed Driscoll for PJ Media.com, and we’ve been talking with Diana West of Diana West.net, the author of American Betrayal: The Secret Assault on Our Nation’s Character. It’s published by St. Martin’s Press, and available from Amazon.com, and your local bookstore. And Diana, thank you once again for stopping by today, and continued success with the new book.

MS. WEST:  Thank you.  It was a great pleasure talking to you.

(End of recording; for our many previous podcasts, start here and keep scrolling.)

Transcribed by eScribers.net, with minor revisions (including hyperlinks) by Ed Driscoll. Artwork created using images by Shutterstock.com.

<- Prev  Page 7 of 7   View as Single Page

COLD WAR - Just like in Vietnam, we won all the battles but lost the war thanks to people like the Clintons. I am only 46 years old, but when I was in high school (1980's) I was taught that communism and socialism (aka: USSR) were "enemies" of America and wanted to do us harm eventually replacing our form of government....not anymore...because the whole American education system is overrun with commies and socialists! It is NO ACCIDENT - They planned it that way. They could never defeat us militarily, so take advantage of weak-minded, selfish a$$holes and defeat us from within.

Remember BENGHAZI!
Of course, McCarthy, as a senator, was not on HUAC.
The HUAC was founded, as an an attack on fascists, by the only congressman known to be in the pay of Soviet intelligence, as per The Haunted Wood. It did continue afterwards to go after both Fascists and Communists.

From this alone I am having a hard time seeing the thesis. Both the US and the UK made a calculated decision to make a deal with the devil in order to forstall a more immediate threat to Western Europe, Nazi Germany. Germany did in fact take over Western Europe, and while it killed far fewer people, given time and opportuntity, the death rate is likely to have been much higher.

As Churchill joked, "if Hitler were to declare war on Hell, I would be inclined to put in a word for the Devil".
"I mean, imagine if a nation decided to normalize relations — if we play a little historical scrabble — mind-scrabble — with a Hitler, after having killed six million of its own people — six million Jews, say?"

What would have stopped them? The nations of the world, particularly Great Britain, did everything they could to make sure as few Jews escaped the Holocaust as possible. Even after it was over and the pictures came out, we have Truman recorded as complaining about the Jews whining about the Holocaust. (Eisenhower was different; ironically their ME foreign policies were reversed.)

For that matter, if we could recognize Mao, we could recognize anyone.
Ms West, when you go to write your next book, you might want to look up the Oneida Community. It's American. and socialist. The leftist rot starts early, and is woven in deeply.

When professors teach 'American history of regular people'- they use the book "Way of Duty" about a "plain Connecticut housewife." No, she's not. She's the grandmother of the Oneida founder. As well, some of her children and grandchildren are the first known atheists in America. It's a counter-history, a history of the left, and their families, not the "history of regular Americans."

Remember BENGHAZI!
I went to grade school in the sixties and early severties, and one of my history books had a section entitled "American Impreialism". No kidding.
Maxine Waters Confirms "Big Brother" Database 2013

From all indications outside of Dixie the Democrat establishment on the coasts and especially in Hollywood wanted to see Communism succeed so badly they could taste it in 1933. The infatuation of the American left with Communist ideology knew, and knows, no bounds.

FDR may have been playing pragmatic politics by recognizing the Soviet Union (the enemy of my enemy is my friend), but I'm convinced he would have loved to have had Stalin's autocratic power, and would have crushed his opponents in similar fashion had he dared.

It wasn't that many years later Khruhschev was pounding his shoe on a podium in NYC screaming "We will bury you!" I suspect his ghost is smiling at Obama's antics.
The continuing aftermath of the betrayals are deep and beyond imaginable, except in ones nightmares. In fact, ever since Woodrow Wilson, the edifice of America has been steadily chipped away. And Obama Inc is the regime, in place, to complete said destruction aka "transformation" - http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/07/08/putin-obama-knee-deep-in-cooperative-efforts-russian-troops-training-on-u-s-soil-what-are-they-up-to-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/

Shiver America timbers. The entire west too!

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
"I mean, imagine if a nation decided to normalize relations — if we play a little historical scrabble — mind-scrabble — with a Hitler, after having killed six million of its own people — six million Jews, say? It’s not thinkable."

Of course it's thinkable!

If Nazi Germany had won World War II, all the world's nations would have rushed to established diplomatic relations with it. In fact, Nazi Germany would have become the role model for the Arab Middle East.

This would hardly be the first time in history that a nation achieved diplomatic recognition despite a ghastly human rights record.

For you science-fiction fans: Read the "alternate history" novel "Fatherland," or see the made-for-TV movie of the same name. The time is 1960, 15 years after Nazi Germany won World War II. The U.S. and Nazi Germany are locked in a deadly Cold War-type stalemate. But everyone hopes that the upcoming summit between Hitler and President Kennedy will ease international tensions. And nobody cares to ask what really happened to those Jews anyway.
"But everyone hopes that the upcoming summit between Hitler and President Kennedy will ease international tensions."

Bear in mind that the President Kennedy in this novel is President Joseph Kennedy, father of JFK, and known sympathizer of the Nazis when he served as America's ambassador to Britain.