Ed Driscoll

Interview: Diana West on the Cold War and American Betrayal

July 8th, 2013 - 12:00 am

diana_west_american_betrayal_cover_big_6-12-13-1

MR. DRISCOLL:  This is Ed Driscoll for PJ Media.com, and I’m talking today with Diana West, syndicated columnist who blogs at Diana West.net. She’s also the author of the new book, American Betrayal: The Secret Assault on Our Nation’s Character. It’s published by St. Martin’s Press, and available from Amazon.com, and your local bookstore. And Diana, thanks for stopping by today.

MS. WEST:  Thank, you Ed.  Great to be back.

MR. DRISCOLL:  Diana, your first book was The Death of the Grown-Up in 2007.  What made you choose the thesis of American Betrayal as its follow-up?

MS. WEST:  Well, in some ways, I suppose, the thesis chose me.  I was still puzzling over disconnects between what I looked on as fact and conclusions, which is some of the same issues I was trying to sort through with The Death of the Grown-Up.  And I felt like — I felt like the grownup metaphor needed to go — I needed to go a little deeper.  And I wanted to find out if I could actually find a historical precedent for what I was seeing as — as a disconnect between amassing facts and making conclusions or making judgments.

And boy did I.  I was quite shocked and often appalled by what I found by going back down the rabbit hole into our historical layers.

MR. DRISCOLL:  Diana, your new book has a blurb on the back from Amity Shlaes, the author of The Forgotten Man, her brilliant look at the devastating impact of FDR’s domestic policies on America in the 1930s. Shlaes’ book begins with a group of American intellectuals, who would later become FDR’s brain trust in the 1930s taking an ocean voyage to the Soviet Union in the mid-1920s, and believing that, as Lincoln Steffens famously said, “They had seen the future — and it worked!”

You write in American Betrayal that it didn’t take all that long for the Soviet Union to return the favor, is that correct?

MS. WEST:  Right, right, yes.  Well, it’s a different — it’s a different sort of tranche than the one Amity was mining.

Yes, what I discovered was a very useful way in to understanding what has become of us was the act of recognition of the Soviet Union by Roosevelt in November 1933.  This was just about half a year or so after the end — what we consider the end — of the terror famine, the famine in the Ukraine which — by which Stalin was able to murder by forced starvation, some five, six million people, maybe more.

That the United States decided to normalize relations right on top of this — this atrocity, is a staggering — a staggering realization.  I mean, imagine if a nation decided to normalize relations — if we play a little historical scrabble — mind-scrabble — with a Hitler, after having killed six million of its own people — six million Jews, say?  It’s not thinkable.

And yet this is what we did in 1933 with an agreement that was a set of lies from the start.  It was essentially based on promises by the Soviet Union that they would not follow up on their revolutionary declarations to overthrow the United States along with every other nation in the world.

This had been the reason, primarily, why four American Presidents and six Secretaries of State had not normalized relations with the Soviet government that had come in after 1917, after the revolution.

FDR went ahead and made — signed this agreement, this piece of paper.  It was a lie the day it was signed, and it certainly was a lie afterwards as the Soviet Union began directing the subversion of our Constitution, the support of cadres of secret agents in our midst.  And this indeed was the basis of the agreement.  In other words, they promised they would not do this, and this was actually what was going on and certainly what when on, and I think to just tragic, tragic consequences.

COLD WAR - Just like in Vietnam, we won all the battles but lost the war thanks to people like the Clintons. I am only 46 years old, but when I was in high school (1980's) I was taught that communism and socialism (aka: USSR) were "enemies" of America and wanted to do us harm eventually replacing our form of government....not anymore...because the whole American education system is overrun with commies and socialists! It is NO ACCIDENT - They planned it that way. They could never defeat us militarily, so take advantage of weak-minded, selfish a$$holes and defeat us from within.

Remember BENGHAZI!
Of course, McCarthy, as a senator, was not on HUAC.
The HUAC was founded, as an an attack on fascists, by the only congressman known to be in the pay of Soviet intelligence, as per The Haunted Wood. It did continue afterwards to go after both Fascists and Communists.

From this alone I am having a hard time seeing the thesis. Both the US and the UK made a calculated decision to make a deal with the devil in order to forstall a more immediate threat to Western Europe, Nazi Germany. Germany did in fact take over Western Europe, and while it killed far fewer people, given time and opportuntity, the death rate is likely to have been much higher.

As Churchill joked, "if Hitler were to declare war on Hell, I would be inclined to put in a word for the Devil".
"I mean, imagine if a nation decided to normalize relations — if we play a little historical scrabble — mind-scrabble — with a Hitler, after having killed six million of its own people — six million Jews, say?"

What would have stopped them? The nations of the world, particularly Great Britain, did everything they could to make sure as few Jews escaped the Holocaust as possible. Even after it was over and the pictures came out, we have Truman recorded as complaining about the Jews whining about the Holocaust. (Eisenhower was different; ironically their ME foreign policies were reversed.)

For that matter, if we could recognize Mao, we could recognize anyone.
Ms West, when you go to write your next book, you might want to look up the Oneida Community. It's American. and socialist. The leftist rot starts early, and is woven in deeply.

When professors teach 'American history of regular people'- they use the book "Way of Duty" about a "plain Connecticut housewife." No, she's not. She's the grandmother of the Oneida founder. As well, some of her children and grandchildren are the first known atheists in America. It's a counter-history, a history of the left, and their families, not the "history of regular Americans."

Remember BENGHAZI!
I went to grade school in the sixties and early severties, and one of my history books had a section entitled "American Impreialism". No kidding.
Maxine Waters Confirms "Big Brother" Database 2013

From all indications outside of Dixie the Democrat establishment on the coasts and especially in Hollywood wanted to see Communism succeed so badly they could taste it in 1933. The infatuation of the American left with Communist ideology knew, and knows, no bounds.

FDR may have been playing pragmatic politics by recognizing the Soviet Union (the enemy of my enemy is my friend), but I'm convinced he would have loved to have had Stalin's autocratic power, and would have crushed his opponents in similar fashion had he dared.

It wasn't that many years later Khruhschev was pounding his shoe on a podium in NYC screaming "We will bury you!" I suspect his ghost is smiling at Obama's antics.
The continuing aftermath of the betrayals are deep and beyond imaginable, except in ones nightmares. In fact, ever since Woodrow Wilson, the edifice of America has been steadily chipped away. And Obama Inc is the regime, in place, to complete said destruction aka "transformation" - http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/07/08/putin-obama-knee-deep-in-cooperative-efforts-russian-troops-training-on-u-s-soil-what-are-they-up-to-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/

Shiver America timbers. The entire west too!

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
"I mean, imagine if a nation decided to normalize relations — if we play a little historical scrabble — mind-scrabble — with a Hitler, after having killed six million of its own people — six million Jews, say? It’s not thinkable."

Of course it's thinkable!

If Nazi Germany had won World War II, all the world's nations would have rushed to established diplomatic relations with it. In fact, Nazi Germany would have become the role model for the Arab Middle East.

This would hardly be the first time in history that a nation achieved diplomatic recognition despite a ghastly human rights record.

For you science-fiction fans: Read the "alternate history" novel "Fatherland," or see the made-for-TV movie of the same name. The time is 1960, 15 years after Nazi Germany won World War II. The U.S. and Nazi Germany are locked in a deadly Cold War-type stalemate. But everyone hopes that the upcoming summit between Hitler and President Kennedy will ease international tensions. And nobody cares to ask what really happened to those Jews anyway.
"But everyone hopes that the upcoming summit between Hitler and President Kennedy will ease international tensions."

Bear in mind that the President Kennedy in this novel is President Joseph Kennedy, father of JFK, and known sympathizer of the Nazis when he served as America's ambassador to Britain.