Dr. Helen

Amy Alkon Interviews Barbara Oakley on “A Mind for Numbers”

August 3rd, 2014 - 4:33 am

Barbara Oakley, author of A Mind For Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra), will be on Amy Alkon’s radio show tonight from 9-10 pm eastern:

Dr. Barbara Oakley has written an incredibly helpful book on learning how to learn math and science. But, yoohoo, math-loathers, this book — and this show — are about much more than that.

Both the book and tonight’s show are about techniques you can start employing immediately that will show you how to do your work and your creative work more efficiently and ultimately more successfully and satisfyingly.

The proof that these techniques work? Dr. Oakley herself used these techniques to transform from a girl who flunked every math and science course in high school into a tenured professor of engineering. And she currently uses them to curb procrastination, to learn and retain difficult material better and faster, and to increase her creativity in problem-solving and writing.

Now don't you ol' curmudgeons be pickin' on my Dr. Helen! She's trying to offer something positive here.
Helen, love your blog but you risk losing me with these off-topic posts about math and exercise. Thanks for your consideration.
Yes, it's kind of strange - most people who can do math and science ... can do it. And if I couldn't, I certainly wouldn't take advice from Amy Alkon, in anything. Even second-hand.
I know some engineering courses which require zero math. And 1 person is too small a number to tout as proof of something working especially when that 1 person is the person who is writing the book. If 1 person success is all it is for proving something as effective, then even homeopathy can be proved to work since I am 1 person who has benefited from it while conventional medicine failed to work for me. Does not seem very scientifically sound to me anyway especially when homeopathy is junk science to amy alkon