Dr. Helen

IronShrink reviews Men on Strike:

Initially it seemed to me that the book relied too heavily on that type of anecdotal evidence. That is, until I recalled my own difficulties gathering data about men. Psychology researchers seem only marginally interested in the mental health of men, and most seem to begin with the assumption that men are predators, drunks, and abusers.

For example, there is a line of research suggesting that men become depressed when they act too much like men. Accordingly, foregoing male nature is the path to happiness.* That’s precisely the type of problem Dr. Smith has written about. Men are treated as second-class citizens by the social sciences, a state of affairs that undoubtedly steered her toward anecdotal evidence, using plenty of hard data to round out her thesis whenever possible. I can hardly blame her for that, given the relative paucity of information about the inner worlds of men.

I may read your book at the book store to see if you have come close to the real story. In thirty yrs. I've met few that can fain empathy long enough to listen. Including MDs, PHDs, social workers, teachers, theropists, or pastors.
so the real story has been discovered and a book is out. Now someone tell me how recover from the life of a Mr. mom facing empty nest after 6 kids/2 with handicaps and a wife still working 60+ hrs per week. Male bashing continues from men that think I have it made when I feel like I have nothing.
Anyone who has been involved with social workers will experience that prejudice first-hand. Oh, unless you're a gay man, then you get special treatment.
Social "science" is just leftwing political indoctrination and narrative maintenance, for the most part. They start with flawed assumptions about society that are predicated on the old Marxist critique of western liberal culture and even old USSR propaganda about how the US is exceptionally "racist", as if the rest of the world was a multi-culti paradise we would do well to emulate.

Based on that flawed model, you are guaranteed nothing but idiotic leftwing political garbage tarted up to appear as "science". Then, they wonder why they are being defunded by taxpayers.
That's something I notice time ago. In some typical gender-related debates it's very usual to ask for data that supports arguments. But the necessary data usually lack. But this is not something about men being second-class citizens in social sciences. Sometimes there's only statistics available for ONE year. When those statistics don't fit feminists claims, they use to "disappear" from the following year on.
This is related and I wanted to share it. Tonight while visiting relatives a commercial for Match.com came on. The commercial ends with a man and a woman who are on their first date. She says to him: "I graduated college with a 4.0 average." He replies: "Wow! I didn't!" and then they high five each other. This is one main reason I unplugged my tv.
As for the social sciences, in relationship to men and women, there are too many biases that dictate what will go into the textbooks. We cannot afford the luxury of trusting the agenda of academia. They take money from tax exempt foundations with very biased ideologies. Don't trust them.
I read that a number of Americans left the United States for Europe during the Interwar period. They were known as expatriots. Perhaps we men should follow suit, become expatriots ourselves now that we're so out of place here. I've read of some Americans, such as singer Tina Turner, who renounce their US citizenship for tax purposes. If this country has become such a hostile society to us guys, what's to save. why bother saving this ungrateful society. It's just not worth the effort; too many men have suffered enough already. Let us give the women and all the Uncle Tims over to their own minds. There are women for us out there in Latin America, Asia, and Eastern Europe who would probably appreciate our men better.
When I was in graduate school, studying the Romantics, I did a lot of research on romance in general and on the behavorial differences between the sexes in particular, which I found more fascinating due to my background in biology.

One of the most important books I read was The Essential Difference, by Baron-Choen. It delves into the structural differences between the male and female brain, and is really quite revealing. Did you know that women have 150% more connective tissue between the hemishperes of their brains than men do?

I also read books on relationships, like Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, which is mostly about how the sexes communicate differently. I found it interesting, but not fascinating.

I suppose that's the difference between a hard science and a soft science. One is based on empirical evidence, and the other on general conjecture.

This article is a good review of Dr. Helen's book, but Dr. Shawn undercuts the premise of male psychology research, whatever that is, when he admits there is a "paucity of information about the inner worlds of men." In other words, he doesn't have any evidence to support his hypotheses, merely conjecture based on presumptive observations. This is revealed in his comments on the behavior of men, which are nothing more than repetitions of the currently accepted cultural opinions.

In my research, I came across this book, How To Succeed With Women, by Louis and Copeland. It really is a good read. These two guys, Louis and Copeland, did what they were expected to do, go to college, advance in their careers, become successful, but they couldn't get any dates and didn't understand why.

So, they came up with the brilliant idea of holding seminars and interviewing actual women. They set up an environment that was non-confrontational, where there was no innuendoes or sexual come ons--where the game wasn't being played--and simply asked women what turned them on, what attracted them to men, and what a man had to do or say and how he had to act in order to pick them up.

The entire book is a transcript of the conversations with these women, and you would be suprised at how frank they are. In a non-treatening environment, ask her a question and she will come right out and tell you what she thinks and how she feels. You may not like it or agree with it, but that's not the point of the seminar or the experiment. It's to find out how women think and feel. The results may surprise you.

Perhaps Dr. Shawn should take an approach something like this. Set up a seminar, and simply ask men what they think and how they feel. They'll tell you, in a non-threatening environment. This is exactly what Dr. Helen is doing in her work, in setting up this blog, in her book. Her research may be non-conventional, but so what? All she is doing is creating an environment where men can feel safe to honestly express whay they think and how they feel.

But she also addresses the larger cultural issues that men face, such as feminism, which is misandry, the court system, which is discriminatory, academia, which is equally both, and the societal impact these issues have.

You want to ask me why I've never been married? I'll tell you. I refuse to be a cuckold. It's that simple. Because, if I were cuckolded, I would have no legal recourse to address the situation. The only solution to that problem is to not get into it in the first place. Therefore, marriage is out of the question.

This is a legal problem. The terms and conditions of the marriage contract are completely unacceptable. The ramifications that has on culture and society I look upon as not my problem. Since hardly anyone, especially a woman, is willing to even dicuss changing the contract, there is no point in discussing it. I do not agree to the terms and conditions of the contract, period. Either change the contract or I'm leaving.

I can live perfectly well on my own. I've been doing it for 40 years. I cook, I clean, I maintain a nice house. I have an education, a job, I make good money, and I can pay my own bills, thank you very much. What do I need a woman for? Bad attitude and debt? No, thank you very much.

Ultimately, this is a female problem. It's an attitude problem, and it's her problem. It's a legal problem, and it's her problem. It's only his problem if he allows it to be. It's a cultural problem, and it's her problem. It's a societal problem, and it's her problem.

Women want to run the world? Let them run it into the ground. Don't worry, eventually men will pick up the pieces and rebuild it. Hopefully, not as stupidly as they did before.
@ Bababaran below: "I guess everyone is a special snowflake. "
Exactly. It is that individual 'Snowflake' that makes it all so unlikely. In order to get something that is statistically viable (for statistics are their only possible rigor, straight out formula being impossible) they have to widen the range of the observed data as to be meaningless.

The whole idea is to be able to predict. How can a very wide generalization be used to predict individual or small group activity? Further, if the purpose is to predict (or in their minds, control) large group activity, huge numbers of INDIVIDUALS will not fit whatever scheme-behavior is being managed .... Self defeating. duh.
1 2 Next View All