Get PJ Media on your Apple

Protecting Military Voting: A Blue Star Mom Speaks Out

A military mom describes her experience fighting the bureaucracy to ensure that her deployed son receives his ballot in time to participate in elections back home.

Betty Boren Avery


October 25, 2010 - 10:24 am
<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

It was difficult enough waiting to hear that he had made it safely to his new posting. Now, I had to deal with an administrative person questioning a form we were both looking at (fortunately, I had made a copy of the form so I had proof of the original request). The woman eventually stated that she believed the mail ballot could be sent at the earliest date, but that I would need to send my son’s email address so he could verify the information himself.

Ugh. I stated that a) he does not have a computer and b) and he does not have access to the internet — except when he waits in line for 2-3 hours and then he gets only 15- 20 minutes of computer time, which he likes to spend on Facebook chatting with friends. Facebook is the only place where I have been able to communicate with my son. Not through email or through the mail — he does not write letters, cards, or send photos, etc. His communication is brief, never more than a few words or letters like “IDK” or “O.”

I sent the email like they requested with the APO address to on August 17, and followed up after a few days to check on the status. I got the “privilege” of talking to the head of the mail ballot department about the request: she said she would send my son an email to check on the request — but that she would check with the secretary of state to see if she can accept the address from me.

My frustration with the system was now beyond belief. I knew the correct forms, and I was not trying to do anything not allowed. I was just trying to have the Ft. Campbell address changed to the APO address! I was about to yell at the lady at this point.

Recently, I called the mail ballot department to check on the status of my son’s mailed ballot and was told that it was mailed on September 17.  As far as I know, he has not received it yet, but I have not heard from him in several days.

Had I not known what to do, would he have been sent a ballot? If it had been sent to Ft. Campbell, would it sit in the mail room and not arrive in Afghanistan?

We must do better; we can do better!

PJ Media is asking military voters who had problems getting their ballots to send their stories to

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page
Betty Boren Avery is a military mom and election judge in Texas.
Click here to view the 27 legacy comments

Comments are closed.

2 Trackbacks to “Protecting Military Voting: A Blue Star Mom Speaks Out”