Girlfriends, Let’s Talk About How to Convert a Democrat
It starts with a "G." This is Janine Turner's inaugural column for PJ Media.
April 25, 2012 - 12:00 am
Think movie scene: a restaurant anywhere in America. A group of five female friends are sitting around talking — three are Democrats, two are Republicans. At a table with no salt shaker and a Michelle Obama-approved menu, the Democrats’ conversation starts like this:
Can you believe the Republicans are taking away our contraception?
This dialogue quickly deteriorates into a misinformed, Obama-fueled fiasco: the wicked “one percent,” the “fairness” of free health care, equal outcomes rather than equal opportunities, etc.
The Republican women look at each other with an unspoken, secret “OMG,” yet they do what conservatives do best: remain conservative. As the Democrat women ramble on about the inequality and wickedness of America — taking no heed that anyone else at the table could possibly disagree with them — the conservative women remain silent.
They do not enter the fray because they know the risks. They know that the Democrats, not able to defend their wiles with wisdom, will attack the Republican women’s character. They know that Democrats cannot have a reasonable conversation, and a brouhaha will ensue.
The Republican women, who feel intimidated, remain mute. They believe their inner fortitude is enough. But is it? No, it is not. The stakes are too high. The republic is vulnerable, our children’s futures in jeopardy.
It is now crucial for conservatives to roll up their sleeves and to join the debate. Isolating into the haven of friends who are of the same mind at home, in church, and even on talk radio is no longer an option. Preaching to the choir will not win our country back in 2012.
It’s time for Republicans to pronounce: Women are smarter than this.
How does one convert unyielding and uninformed liberals? With reason and knowledge. To enter into this battle, one must be armed, agile, sharp, and resolute.
Here are some tools. When the Democrats start ranting, use the GIRLFRIENDS acronym to forge through the storm.
G: Get Reasonable. Want to teach your children that laws don’t matter? Be a Democrat.
- Knowledge is power and reason is a civic responsibility.
- Our United States Constitution is the law of the land.
- Democrat think the Constitution is irrelevant because it restricts them.
I: Informed on Phony Contraception Battle. Want your children to lose their religious freedom? Be a Democrat.
- Republicans are not interested in taking away contraceptives.
- The Republicans are protecting your religious freedom.
- A dangerous precedent has been set — the government has successfully mandated that the Catholic Church go against their beliefs and cover contraceptives in their insurance policies.
- What’s next? Mandating which religion you must follow?
R: Republicans Are the Women’s Party. Want your daughter to be constrained by government? Be a Democrat.
- Republicans supported the 19th Amendment, extending voting rights to America’s women. Democrats didn’t.
- A Republican, Senator A. A. Sargent, introduced the 19th Amendment.
- A Democrat-controlled U.S. Congress denied women their right to vote by refusing to pass the 19th Amendment. Four times.
- A Republican-controlled U.S. Congress finally passed the 19th Amendment.
- During the ratification process, eight of the nine states that did not ratify the amendment had Democrat-controlled state legislatures.
L: Legislative Liberty Is Lost. Want your child to live under tyranny? Be a Democrat.
- The Democrats are bureaucrats. They are really the Bureaucratic Party.
- Democrats do not think the people can govern, provide, or think on their own.
- Democrats override the legislative process with unelected bureaucrats and “czars.”
- Obama has appointed the most czars in U.S. history.
- Democrats write 2,700-page bills that no one, not even the Supreme Court justices, can understand. That should stop.
F: Fuel and Energy Policies Are a Farce. Want your child’s transportation to be a horse? Be a Democrat.
- The basic ability to fuel our cars and to receive consistent electricity is in jeopardy under Obama and the Democrats.
- Obama refuses to harvest America’s great wealth of fossil fuel resources.
- Drilling on federal lands is at an eight-year low.
- We have enough oil, gas, and coal in our country to be self-sufficient.
- The taxes paid to the government from these resources could pay off our debt within a generation.
- Secretary of Energy Steven Chu stated that his goal is $8.00 per gallon gasoline that would pressure Americans to “go green.”
- Would you let your kid drive the combustible Chevy Volt?
- We should not put the cart before the horse, but with the Obama administration, you should get a horse.
R: Return Women to the Workforce. Want your daughter to live off the government? Be a Democrat.
- Of all the jobs that have been lost during the Obama administration, 92% have been women’s jobs.
- Women are suffering under the Obama administration.
- The majority of single mothers are trapped in the mire of dependence on the government because the Obama economy has had the hardest impact on women.
- Democrats depend on dependents.
I: Insolvency — Sinking in a Sea of Debt. Want your child to live in debt, hounded by creditors? Be a Democrat.
- The Republicans are offering life vests.
- The Democrats are drowning Americans in ideology.
- America is broke. We are approaching 16 trillion dollars in debt.
- We are beholden to foreign countries.
- Our country could be taken over without a shot being fired.
- Our credit rating has been downgraded twice under the Obama administration; this has never before happened even once: Standard and Poor’s did this in August 2011; Egan-Jones downgraded us in April 2012.
- Democrats have not put forth a budget in 1,100 days. Republicans have.
E: Entitlement Society — “Give me Liberty and Gimme, Gimme!” Want your child to be dependent on other people’s money? Be a Democrat.
- Patrick Henry, one of our great Founding Fathers, said: “Give me liberty or give me death!”
- Now, Americans say: “Give me liberty and gimme, gimme.”
- Our children are being taught that the government owes them everything.
- The Democrats want Americans to believe that everything is free.
- Nothing is for free. The sacrifice is our personal freedom, skyrocketing debt, and our Republican form of government. Our voice.
- Taxation will not and cannot curb the debt and deficit, which continually regenerates and escalates. Cutting the budget is a necessity.
N: National Security — We Are Vulnerable. Want to teach your child it’s okay to be bullied? Be a Democrat.
- Debt is the biggest threat to our national security.
- We are being bullied by foreign countries.
- The entitlement programs and tax code must be restructured.
- Obama and the Democrats are doing nothing. Nothing. They only propagandize.
- Denial destroys. Refusing to acknowledge and take action to control and cut our debt and deficit is our biggest vulnerability.
- China is invading our country through cyberspace, political correctness, and economic and military naiveté.
D: Darkness — Democrats Want Us to Be in the Dark. Want your child to sit in the dark? Be a Democrat.
- We did not blow out our candles until we had electricity strung in our homes.
- Obama is punishing and restricting our current American energy industry through the EPA in ways that are not feasible and not constitutional.
- Government fails when it mandates the market. See Solyndra.
- Our electricity is being compromised before alternatives are viable and accessible.
- Obama and the Democrats want us to be awash in windmills.
- What happens if the wind doesn’t blow?
S: Sick — Our Health Care Will Soon Be Hopeless. Want your child to be sick for a year? Be a Democrat.
- ObamaCare ends the superiority of our health care.
- Need an MRI? You will have to wait in line for it, and you may die while waiting.
- Does your child need surgery? You may wait six months to a year.
- Your parent is elderly and needs a knee replacement? A government panel will decide if his or her life is worth the expense.
- Two years after ObamaCare was passed, no branch of government can decipher the 2,700-page bill.
So, men and women, get out and talk with your GIRLFRIENDS. We can convert Democrats to Reason — the Republican Party. But we have to enter the fray to do it.
We are smarter than the propaganda we are being sold. Times are serious. To win in 2012, we must be vocal.