Think movie scene: a restaurant anywhere in America. A group of five female friends are sitting around talking — three are Democrats, two are Republicans. At a table with no salt shaker and a Michelle Obama-approved menu, the Democrats’ conversation starts like this:
Can you believe the Republicans are taking away our contraception?
This dialogue quickly deteriorates into a misinformed, Obama-fueled fiasco: the wicked “one percent,” the “fairness” of free health care, equal outcomes rather than equal opportunities, etc.
The Republican women look at each other with an unspoken, secret “OMG,” yet they do what conservatives do best: remain conservative. As the Democrat women ramble on about the inequality and wickedness of America — taking no heed that anyone else at the table could possibly disagree with them — the conservative women remain silent.
They do not enter the fray because they know the risks. They know that the Democrats, not able to defend their wiles with wisdom, will attack the Republican women’s character. They know that Democrats cannot have a reasonable conversation, and a brouhaha will ensue.
The Republican women, who feel intimidated, remain mute. They believe their inner fortitude is enough. But is it? No, it is not. The stakes are too high. The republic is vulnerable, our children’s futures in jeopardy.
It is now crucial for conservatives to roll up their sleeves and to join the debate. Isolating into the haven of friends who are of the same mind at home, in church, and even on talk radio is no longer an option. Preaching to the choir will not win our country back in 2012.
It’s time for Republicans to pronounce: Women are smarter than this.
How does one convert unyielding and uninformed liberals? With reason and knowledge. To enter into this battle, one must be armed, agile, sharp, and resolute.
Here are some tools. When the Democrats start ranting, use the GIRLFRIENDS acronym to forge through the storm.
G: Get Reasonable. Want to teach your children that laws don’t matter? Be a Democrat.
- Knowledge is power and reason is a civic responsibility.
- Our United States Constitution is the law of the land.
- Democrat think the Constitution is irrelevant because it restricts them.
I: Informed on Phony Contraception Battle. Want your children to lose their religious freedom? Be a Democrat.
- Republicans are not interested in taking away contraceptives.
- The Republicans are protecting your religious freedom.
- A dangerous precedent has been set — the government has successfully mandated that the Catholic Church go against their beliefs and cover contraceptives in their insurance policies.
- What’s next? Mandating which religion you must follow?
R: Republicans Are the Women’s Party. Want your daughter to be constrained by government? Be a Democrat.
- Republicans supported the 19th Amendment, extending voting rights to America’s women. Democrats didn’t.
- A Republican, Senator A. A. Sargent, introduced the 19th Amendment.
- A Democrat-controlled U.S. Congress denied women their right to vote by refusing to pass the 19th Amendment. Four times.
- A Republican-controlled U.S. Congress finally passed the 19th Amendment.
- During the ratification process, eight of the nine states that did not ratify the amendment had Democrat-controlled state legislatures.