Klavan On The Culture

Mitch McConnell BeClowns Himself

March 9th, 2014 - 5:37 pm
shutterstock_171289562

The GOP Arrives at Work.

Let’s try a little theological metaphor here. If the Tea Party is the spirit of the Republican Party — i.e., the embodiment of its best ideals — and actual Republicans are like the body — i.e., subject to sin and self-degradation — then guys like McConnell are like one specific part of the body that can’t be mentioned in a family-friendly blog. Okay, maybe that’s not theological. But you know what I mean.

Here’s the thing. I don’t think anyone should be primarying McConnell. I know: he spends too much and he collaborates with Harry Reid on rule changes when he thinks they’ll block conservatives (see the paragraph above). But Bevin is nowhere near toppling him, whereas his race with Democrat opponent Alison Grimes could be close. Even knowing what we know about McConnell, we want him to win rather than lose. That’s politics, folks. That’s just the way it is.

But hey, Mitch, it’d be a lot easier to hold our noses and vote for you if you didn’t stink quite so spectacularly. I mean, bragging to the Times about defeating candidates with more principles than you even dream about having, it just sort of makes you look  oh, I don’t know  like something low, foolish, empty, and unintelligent. A Republican, for instance.

Like I said: comedy.

Update:

McConnell Gives His Side of the Story

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

“I think we are going to crush them everywhere,”
--------------------------------------------------------

You'd think he were talking about GOP vs Democrats in the upcoming mid-term elections and not the Tea Party. I ask again - what difference is there between the GOP elite and the democrats? Not much if the 'enemy' is We The People.

I find it unfortunate that I'll never be able to cast a vote against this turd. I'd vote democrat before voting for Mitch. He paraded around at CPAC and boasted of being a good conservative - then mocks every thinking conservative and libertarian in the land. The GOP is currently treading water in the senate and has the House ONLY because the Tea Party exists. He wouldn't have a hope in hell of being made Leader in the Senate if it weren't for the TP. I really hope the Democrat beats him bad! We don't 'need' the senate if this is to be the leadership we'd have to endure. Bring Harry back!

I'm 100% Tea Party and only a nominal Republican -- I vote GOP up and down the ticket, but only donate $ to Tea Party and individual Republicans of my choosing. That being said, I never wanted McConnell primaried because I think that he's a good Republican, but just not the greatest leader.

And no -- I don't trust him to have the cajones to repeal-and-replace, or just plain repeal, DemocratCare if and when given the opportunity and that's why he shouldn't be leading anymore (along with his other bad leadership decisions). I think that his track record as a Republican Senator is worthy, but just isn't the type of leader that this party and nation need right now.

Gotta give him and Boehner credit for not letting 1 Republican vote seep through to support DemocratCare -- that was truly incredible. McConnell doesn't realize it yet, I guess -- even if he wins his race, the GOP grass roots aren't interested in following him and Boehner. Nobody listens to them anymore. The future of this party seems to be Cruz, Paul, Lee, Rubio and Walker for a reason and they're all Tea Partiers.
You have to wonder if Mitch isn't a bit bi-polar with his actions in the span of three days -- Walking on-stage a CPAC brandishing the rifle to give to Tom Coburn, but mainly as a way to try and fire up a skeptical audience in his favor. If you're going to do that, and then basically walk off the stage and tell The New York Times you're going to crush the candidates many of the CPAC attendees are supporting, who are you trying to impress more? The CPAC crowd that you're a rifle-totin' tough hombre, or The New York Times and its readers, that you can bamboozle the sheep by talking tough in a speech for 10 minutes, and then talk tough against the candidates those people are backing (Mitch apparently also thinks the CPAC crowd is not literate enough to read The New York Times, if he thought that quote wouldn't get out and cause blow-back).
I tend to hold my nose and vote DemLite... er I mean Republican, but only because voting for the Libertarian Party is such a waste of time. But if the Republican Establishment isn't careful, they will drive the Tea Party right into the LP's arms. The Tea Party fits in with the LP at least as well as it does with the Republicans, and they sure as hell ain't going to vote Team Blue. So, yeah, McConnell, bad mouth the folks who gave your party control of the House.
We have a two-party system, but nothing says that those two parties have to be the Democrats and the Republicans. In fact, the Republican Party started as a third party, and only became one of The Two when the Whigs couldn't agree on Slavery. Many Whig politicians at the time could also have been described as Democrat-Lite, and most of the Whig members from Northern States joined the Republican Party.
So maybe Mitch and his kind will drive true lovers of liberty to the Libertarian Party... the more I think about it, the more I like the idea! Go Mitch!
At this point I would be extremely happy to see McConnell lose but the party still win enough seats to gain control of the Senate. Anyone who stabs his own party members in the back doesn't deserve a seat in the Senate. If Republicans can't develop a platform broad enough to satisfy say, 90% of the leaders (there will always be radical outliers), then how can they expect to accomplish anything in conjunction with Democrats, who are light years further away in philosophy than the Tea Party. His comments do nothing but harm to the Republican cause, confirming to any who might be on the fence that the party is indeed in disarray.
Well, it's really up to the Republicans of Kentucky, virtually none of whom seem to agree with the Republicans from the other 49 states.
Mitch needs to remember who the REAL enemies are.....
McConnell who has an 82% conservative rating doesn't do himself any favors by making the aforesaid statement about the Tea Party. That being said, I prefer him to his potential loony left democratic opponent.
“I think we are going to crush them everywhere”

McConnell is truly an idiot. In 2010, through primarily the efforts of the tea party, thousands of new voters were brought into the Republican ranks where for the past several years McConnell and Boehner have been trying their best to make tem feel unwelcome. "We" will "crush" "them". Who's the enemy here? Why on earth would any politician want to crush a part of his base? Wouldn't it be better to try to convince them to support you? Keep it up McConnell. You will end up driving tea party voters into a third party that will split the conservative vote and insure Democratic rule for a generation.
Like I said: comedy

Like I said: support Mtt Bevin in the primary. And then stay home for the general election, or (gasp!) vote for the DemoNcrat.

Dump McConnell. Whatever it takes, dump McConnell.

Death to the Republican Party
Long live the Tea Party
I live in Kentucky and know Matt Bevin. He is the real deal. He is the kind of person we need to help turn this mess around. He also has a much better chance of winning in the general election than McConnell, because people are fed up with the current leadership.

McConnell would like you to believe that the election is over, "the science is settled." Don't believe it. We elected Rand Paul against McConnell's hand-picked candidate, and, even though Paul has allowed himself to be co-opted by McConnell and is not forcefully promoting Bevin as he should, we can overcome the odds again. If we vote for more of the same, that's just what we'll get.
Settling for "that's just the way it is," is totally contrary to the spirit and meaning of the American revolution, and extends, through yet another election cycle, the "evil of two lessers" acceptance of mediocrity and mendacity. It is precisely how the incremental metastasizing of Progressivism has made the solution impossible. Prepare for how it's going to be. The continuance of "America" is now an 'after the fall' proposition. Ask any oncologist.
Trent Lott, Tom Delay, Mitch McConnell - what's the difference?
These old white dudes have been a blemish for so long, they are now becoming "permanent scars" on the a$$ of the GOP.
Why do you bring race into it?
1 2 3 4 Next View All