Klavan On The Culture

Messages From Three Conservatives. 3. Lee Habeeb

November 20th, 2013 - 6:39 pm

All well and good — but Habeeb is thinking much bigger than that; much. Habeeb wants to build a network. As in: a network. First on radio, then on TV. This network would feature — get this — not a bunch of talking heads wagging their fingers at the already-converted right-wing choir, but entertainment, culture, stories, comedy… created by talented people who understand the truth of those original principles of liberty and limited government that actually made America great… until the current set of knuckleheads got their grubby fingers on it.

Habeeb is so radical he actually wants to build this thing so that it makes — wait for it — a profit! And he asks the questions: Why can’t we? Why Fox News and none other? Why do conservatives, who believe in free enterprise, always try to communicate through non-profit venues, while leftists, who pretend to be socialists, create studios and publishing houses that actually make money? Why do conservatives who have successfully built so many businesses balk at show business (which there is no business like)?

After our panel, I was shocked at how many people came up to me to say that Habeeb is thinking too big, daring too much, going beyond what can feasibly be done.

I genuinely think they’re wrong. My money’s on Lee. And if he pulls it off? It’ll be the start of a revolution.

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

The Problem with creating a “Media Empire” to rival the size and scope of what The Left now controls, is that most Conservatives I know are far, far less “media needy” than liberals.

We simply don’t now, and never will, patronize an “entertainment industry” to the same extent that the liberal/low-information types do. Not because there is little offered to us at the moment, but because even if there WAS, we have OTHER THINGS TO DO than watch television….Only Liberals will spend money in obsessive, approval-seeking navel gazing to maintain the “lifestyle” they see portrayed on TV.

Whereas, Conservatives actually have lives, and don’t care too much what “others” think about them. We don’t “trend”, we don’t follow the hype. We’re not nearly as distracted and obsessive over the latest shiny object…

We don’t post Facebook pics of the arugula salad we just ordered. We don’t buy “apps” to cross reference the nearest glutten-free croissant shop and vegan poetry improv on our way Yoga Class…

We are Adults. We don’t cling to the illusion of hipster-cool sit-com lifestyles…and we cant be guilted into engaging our dollars in the shallow, commercialized mimicry of the attitudes we see in “the media” as we desperately try to emulate to keep up with our “cool-liberal friends”.

We are cheap and pragmatic. We are not fools, because we cannot BE fooled. And that spells doom for "entertainers"

Doom, because your “Conservative” Entertainment Empire will go broke trying to sell “entertainment” to me, because I ALREADY KNOW WHAT I WANT, and it sure as sh*t aint on TV or at the mall.

I know all the Cheap Khakis and Oxfords I’ll ever need for work, come from the same slave-labor hell-holes of China and India as the ones they sell at Macy’s for five times as much….so I’ll get them at Sams Club, save myself the “Macy’s experience”, and spend the rest on (another) nice pe-’64 Winchester, thank you very much.

You see, I wont EVER pay a premium to have the SAME SHOES…or eyewear, craft brew, cigar, work boots, handbag, speed boat or hip-waders as (name your favorite conservative personality here) in order to feel better about myself…and your advertisers will go BROKE paying those high-fallutin “celebrity salaries” if it doesn’t MASSIVELY increase sales.

“People Magazine, huh…. how many rounds does THAT hold?”

See what I mean?

I don’t have time to sit in front of a TV.
And the stuff I need, NEEDS no advertising.

So, yeah, The Liberals have found their “Primary Industry”…Its built upon the Distraction of the Shallow…The Elevation of the Superfluous… they excel at the exploitation of the needy, the insecure, the stupid, and the lazy.

Show them the fabulously cool and “insider” lifestyle that they, too, and be part of, if they just hold the right Liberal Views…

…and they milk that insecurity, selling them on the latest fragrance, footwear, gadget, status symbol wrapped up in the Latest Liberal Talking Point, while laughing all the way to the bank.

The economic foundation of that industry is Envy and Deceit, that is what makes it so lucrative... its practically the ONLY thing that keeps it afloat, because its such a meaningless venue .

Its nothing you can copy, if you are a Conservative.
Its nothing you’d WANT to copy, if you have a soul.
The key is to not "promote conservationism", that is shove it down the viewing audience's throats, but to simply be and act conservative in the same way that the MSM is and acts Progressive. They don't hang up signs or make a big deal of a homosexual character or extra-marital sex; it's simply commonly accepted as a normal part of the script. They don't go out of their way to blatently promote a socialist point of view, it's simply built into the worldview of the script, the characters simply act that way; the news reporters simply don't ask questions from any other point of view.

Likewise, if you want a good conservative TV show, movie, or news show, don't go out of your way to advertise that it's conservative, don't have your main character declare "I'm conservative". Simply have it as part of the assumed worldview, the natural way that the characters and participants will and should act.

Of course, part of the problem is that we conservatives need to start thinking about what precisely a "conservative worldview" means. We don't want to neglect the struggle against the Progressives to fight among ourselves over precisely how to treat a homosexual character in a TV show.
There is a slight difference between liberalism of news organization and that of Hollywood, when it comes to the profit motive.

With the rise of television and the consolidation of newspapers, post-World War II, you had a period basically from the mid-1950s to the mid-1990 when the media doled out their liberal viewpoint under near monopolistic conditions -- one or two newspapers per town, three network affiliates (plus Ted Turner's follow-the-leader CNN after 1980). It's only with the rise of the Internet and the arrival of Fox News since then that the monopoly has been broken, but what you're seeing in many cases is ideology trumping profits -- outlets like The New York Times or MSNBC are so bonded to their liberal beliefs, they'd rather see their circulation and ratings go down in flames before the adapt to attract more readers or viewers.

Hollywood's a bit different as of now. What you see there is the worst of liberal ideology comes out with what's essentially 'mad money' in vanity projects. The liberal stars, directors, writers and/or producers tend to go for the mass appeal films that don't show any discernible ideology until they've become successful, and only then do they start making liberal screed vanity projects, where if they fail, they simply run back and do another mass-appeal movie. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get to the point you've worn out your goodwill with enough people they won't see any of your projects. But that's usually years down the line.

That's what anyone wanting to get into Hollywood to do conservative-themed movies needs to remember. Before you can do anything, you have to entertain the audience first. Matt Damon, George Clooney or Robert Redford would be busing tables at restaurants or working as veterans greeters at Walmart if they had made their first big movies political diatribes, and while there's nothing wrong with doing a movie that has conservative values, if your story cares more about 'educating' viewers than entertaining them, you're never going to get off the ground floor.
Time for a national, libertarian'ish , college magazine...call it Question Authority!
Hollywood didn't start out being liberal. The people who support the very liberal actors and produces are the people to blame. Obamacare will not only provide publically paid for birth control but also the various "social diseases" caused by all the sleeping around. We may as well face the fact that there is a large element of Americans who dwell on the notoriety of celebsand eat that stuff up. Viewing the films regarding the Kennedy assassination of JFK really showed the difference in the country.
"Hollywood didn't start out being liberal. "

Au contraire. It's ALWAYS been liberal. It just went into hiding for a few years. Look into how it got started - the foul language & joke telling of the early silent films (discovered by lip readers), the immoral themes and semi-nudity of early films which provoked a backlash and led to censorship, until Hollywood got the message and cleaned up just enough to stay out of trouble.

Hollywood has ALWAYS been the enemy. At times they have tried to hide that fact.

Ultra conservatives who don't believe in evolution or non-religious reasons for rape are an embarrassment to many as are those who may have visited a public school once in their lifetime and have condemned all to the dump. I became an Independent because I just couldn't take the continuing embarrassment. I don't think a lot of news outlets preaching this would be too successful.
You really ought to look into the science of Darwinism. The science on the matter is settled!

The same way the science on AGW is settled. EXACTLY the same way.

Conservative parents want their kids to learn something useful like hairdressing, accounting, plumbing,... Not film.
I get a bit weary of the constant trash-talking of Hollywood as some sort of liberal utopia that forever espouses the nanny state. The Hollywood film industry is entirely dependent on its one huge summer blockbuster movie to cover its expenses for all of their preachy low-budget flops. There has never been and never will be a summer blockbuster that does not inherently trumpet personal responsibility, sacrifice and heroism, the sanctity of family, the last minute prayer to God during the All is Lost moment. Stop me if I'm wrong, but welfare-dependent Occupiers do not a blockbuster make. What also irritates me are conservatives who find "hidden liberal ideology" when they take scenes and dialogue completely out of context. So Avatar was pro-environmentalism. Am I out of the lockstep of the conservative purity test that I, too, am pro-environment, but am not a Henny Penny Al
Gore the sky is falling activist?
What is called for is a news network to the right of Fox News so that we correctly redefine where the center is.
The center is like a coastline that continuously changes with the whims of the seas. It's difficult to predict and impossible to maintain. The culture - true culture, a culture that endures and comes from the human heart - is permanent and indelible.
I quit going to "serious" movies years ago. Got tired of being lectured to, talked down to, and generally told that I had no morals.

“People Magazine, huh…. how many rounds does THAT hold?”

See what I mean?

I don’t have time to sit in front of a TV.
And the stuff I need, NEEDS no advertising.

Its nothing you can copy, if you are a Conservative.
Its nothing you’d WANT to copy, if you have a soul.
"and spend the rest on (another) nice pe-’64 Winchester, thank you very much."

Hey! Leave some for the rest of us, willya?

;-)

While I agree with your assessment of conservatives' relationship with the media, perhaps Habeeb's target is not you but those low information types to which you refer. It is those whose minds need to be turned. I think Habeeb's vision could play a big part in that.
TR83 - You've said it all. Fantastic.
Yes, please! We do need a network.
Reality is conservative.
Liberalism is fantasy.
Keep it real.

For as long as I can remember it has struck me that no one on TV or in the movies is at all like anyone I know- even their movement, their speech; the way the camera moves about is nothing like how my eyes travel about (although Brit camera work is closer than American); same for the audio. None of it is even close to realistic. It is more like dreaming than reality. I watch little any more and with HD when I do see, say Fox News, the visual is jarringly surreal.
HD's unreality is terrifying. And I agree that the Brits do reality better than we do. In fact, they are pretty brilliant at it. Better actors, too.
1 2 3 4 Next View All