Klavan On The Culture

Hollywood Conservative A Holocaust Denier

May 5th, 2013 - 12:32 pm

I don’t think I ever met this fellow Cole or Stein or whoever he is, but he invited me to his events a couple of times. I always weaseled out of them. He’d tell me there’d be “plenty of booze and loud rock ‘n roll music,” and I’d think, “Well, I already have enough booze…  and man, I hate that music!” I never had any reason to doubt who he was though, and I surely would have attended something he organized if he’d been playing Sinatra. So what?

The left is always going to accuse us of racism and various other forms of bigotry. They have to. It’s all they’ve got. We don’t have to fear that and we shouldn’t throw conservatives under the bus when they make a remark that’s ill thought out or misconstrued. But true bigotry — and that’s all Holocaust denial is; bigotry — true bigotry is poison and needs to be kept out of the movement. It’s an offense to truth, an offense to decency, and an offense to the God in whose image we’re made.

Cole says of the right wingers who are now deserting him: “I don’t blame them for jettisoning me. Everyone is scared to death. They don’t want this to range beyond Facebook.” And he adds: “I don’t expect many people at my birthday party this year.”

Too right.

[Update. Eric Golub, of Republican Party Animals, the group Stein/Cole claimed to head, feels Cole/Stein used the Guardian to tell a slanted version of his exposure. Here's Golub's version — which, under the circumstances, we can assume is more trustworthy! Golub is the son of a Holocaust survivor, btw.]

[Postscript: Roger L. Simon just called to tell me he had looked Stein/Cole up on IMDB - under David Abravanel Stein. He has a nice list of credits on documentaries about the Holocaust — and none of them seems to be real! When you follow the links they go nowhere. There's no other record of them. So I guess when they call this guy a Hollywood conservative, the emphasis should be on the "con."]

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago. What's interesting is that this guy claims to be part of Hollywood but he's never written, directed, acted in or produced a movie. He's never even been a grip,as far as I know. Why is anyone even interested? Oh, yes, The Guardian.
Get ready for 'Confessions of a Republican Party Animal' appearing in hardcover in fine bookstores nationwide.
Drew, Roger is correct. "Stein" lists all sorts of things on his imdb page -- which you can find here (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1783655/) but most if not all seem to be fake. He also lists himself as a producer, writer, editor, casting director -- just about everything except key grip and best boy. Who knew he was the Orson Welles of his day?
I guess my comment got eaten while I was registering to post, so if it double-posts please forgive me.
Andrew, I really wish you had done your due diligence and not taken the Guardian's article, which is essentially Stein/Cole's side of the story and nothing else, as factually correct. They have plenty of interest in making the Right look like we're just fine befriending a Holocaust Denier, and your headline makes it look even WORSE.
The truth is, nobody knew who he really was. Some people figured it out - I don't know how, but they did - and started taking action to disassociate with him. As soon as his "friends" (some friends - he lied to all of them!) found out, he was anathema to all. He is not a "Hollywood Conservative." He is an impostor, a Holocaust Denier, a liar. He pretended to be a "Hollywood (?) Conservative" and it appears he was merely interested in getting close to Hollywood celebrities or something.
But now, the Left including the Huffington Post has run with the story in order to further the lie that we on the Right welcome antisemites in our company. Just read the comments at the Guardian's post and you will see how it's playing. And yet, you took everything they said as factual and sound like you're the guy to tell everyone they should disavow him. Well, everyone who knew him already has. Other than that, he's nobody. There's no reason to apologize ("APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT?") for being lied to, or for being on the same side as people who were lied to.
The real story is here, and I ask anyone who has read this or the Guardian piece to please give it equal time. http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tygrrrr-express/2013/may/3/republican-party-animals-kicks-out-holocaust-denie/ [http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/tygrrrr-express/2013/may/3/republican-party-animals-kicks-out-holocaust-denie/]
The only thing that needs to be written by our side is that this guy was a liar, a thief, and a fake and that nobody wants anything to do with him - and that the Guardian and anyone else using this as a political weapon is as dishonest as he is.
Well, now I guess no one will come to his keg parties.
Who?