Klavan On The Culture

People Who Love Papal

March 15th, 2013 - 10:09 am

Another good one, still via MRC, was this exchange between NBC’s Matt Lauer and Cardinal Dolan of New York:

LAUER: I think when he stepped out on to the Loggia yesterday, there was some stunned silence for a second. I think some had expected a younger man, he’s 76. Some had expected someone who at least visually seemed to epitomized a more modern Church. When you looked at that image of the new pope standing with some members of the Church hierarchy, visually, Cardinal Dolan, it didn’t exactly scream a modern Church.

DOLAN: Oh, why don’t you go soak your head, you superficial clown!

Okay, I made the Dolan part up. The cardinal, in fact, exhibited his usual patience, politeness, and skill in turning aside the presumption, dishonesty, and stupidity of Lauer’s question. How did Lauer know what the crowd was thinking? As far as I could tell, they were screaming like bobby-soxers for Elvis.[Sinatra, I meant! ]Why not just phrase the question honestly:

LAUER: For myself, who hasn’t been inside a church since I sold my soul to get this job, this whole thing has been a massive disappointment. I was hoping for a younger man. Or a woman even. Maybe a lesbian. Black. Someone who would symbolize and even incarnate my hope that the church would so meld with modern concerns and prejudices that there would finally be no way of distinguishing the wisdom of the centuries from the leftist fad of the moment. Then Catholicism could disappear just like Episcopalianism has and for exactly the same reasons. That would’ve made my job a lot easier, let me tell you. SAY YOU LOVE SATAN, CARDINAL! SAY IT! SAAAAAAY IT!!!!

DOLAN: Oh, why don’t you go soak your head, you superficial clown!

My own first impression is that the new pope is clearly a boon for actor Jonathan Pryce, who should be able to dine out for free on separated-at-birth jokes for the next few months.

More seriously, he seems to be a good dude, who takes his Jesus seriously and has shown humility in the modest way he has lived and courage in the way he’s faced down the leftists who run Argentina. I hope he’s brought along his official Jesus-in-the-Temple knotted rope. He’s going to need it to clean out the corruption, abuse, and ignorance that has riddled the institution.

And after he’s done with NBC News, he can move on to cleaning out the Vatican.

(Thumbnail on PJM homepage based on a modified image by Shutterstock.com.)

<- Prev  Page 2 of 2   View as Single Page

God bless this good and holy man as he goes about the ministry to which God has clearly called him. And God bless Pope Francis, too.
Ha! That's ironic how you compare him to Mr. Pryce. The actor once played Martin Luther in a 90's film! It was called, "Martin Luther: Heretic"
Sorry, I'm not a Catholic, but most of my best friends are: and sadly, some are what would have been called Fabian socialists back in the day. And yet, they go to Mass, and are cantors in their church and pray regularly. They are left wing for the same reason that my pastor (and evangelical christian) voted for Obama. They are anti-war; anti-death penalty; and they suffer from the delusion that Democrats are anti-poverty and pro-social justice. Mr. Klavan is one of the (too rare) voices explaining that said delusion is true because the progressives own the Academy, Big Hollywood and most of the lesser media.
Matt Lauer is a Great Humanitarian!
Love the tag line Klavan! People who love Papal

What a hoot!
Why can't the Church be hip and with-it like the beautiful people?
If American Catholics were true believers, Obama would have lost back in 2008.
I simply do not understand how a christian can support democrats in this country.
Congratulations to the PJM staffer or contributor who had the idea and the means to implement showing the photo of Lauer under a mitre. However, in the near future don't go outside if you hear thunder.
Klavan,
Always like your essays. Miss your 'Klavan on the Culture' videos at PJTV. Your humor is a helpful tonic for those who oppose the insanity that rules our country and other parts of the world.
"...my hope that (the church) would so meld with modern concerns and prejudices that there would finally be no way of distinguishing the wisdom of the centuries from the leftist fad of the moment."

Could change "the church" to any institution.
There is in fact no Catholic vote or opinion; millions of Americans who call themselves Catholics do not believe in anythign the Church teaches and have not been inside a Catholic Church for decades excluding the odd funeral or wedding. These Catholics are basically followers of the Democrat religion; a religion that teaches that they should worship Obama and or Ted Kennedy as the sources of all good and all virtue. They only say they are Catholic in order to give ammunition to the New York Times to attack the Church.
ye with little faith, I believe those who have been baptized as babies as Roman Catholics , The Great angels and their guardian angels work overtime to get them back to their faith.
With this new Holy Pope of Rome this may be much easy to do. our last Holy POPe of Rome reminded all of us how years have gone by and Nazi Germany did not return to Germany to create nation axis of power for all those years up to 2005
However it is possible Germany go back to creating Axis of power with Atheist Communist Capitalist Red China soon. This is why I believe uniting the three Abraham faiths can perhaps nip this in the bud in Europe and even Germany stop doing the old ignorant Axis of power way
1 2 Next View All